how to use pbuilder without .dsc files?
Shawn Sörbom
2015-08-24 00:20:02 UTC
Hi,
I am using pbuilder for the first time and I was wondering:
How does one build a package in pbuilder if they haven't generated .dsc files?
I am trying to build a package on my stable system that has dependencies which
are only satisfiable in sid. I have not built this particular version yet, so
there are no .dsc or .changes files. what should I do?
Thanks,
--Shawn
Vincent Cheng
2015-08-24 00:20:02 UTC
Hi Shawn,
Post by Shawn Sörbom
Hi,
How does one build a package in pbuilder if they haven't generated .dsc files?
I am trying to build a package on my stable system that has dependencies which
are only satisfiable in sid. I have not built this particular version yet, so
there are no .dsc or .changes files. what should I do?
Use "pdebuild" from within your unpacked source directory.
Alternatively, use "debuild -S" to generate a source package, then
pass the .dsc file to pbuilder.

Regards,
Vincent
Ghislain Vaillant
2015-08-24 06:20:02 UTC
Post by Vincent Cheng
Hi Shawn,
Post by Shawn Sörbom
Hi,
How does one build a package in pbuilder if they haven't generated .dsc files?
I am trying to build a package on my stable system that has dependencies which
are only satisfiable in sid. I have not built this particular version yet, so
there are no .dsc or .changes files. what should I do?
Use "pdebuild" from within your unpacked source directory.
Alternatively, use "debuild -S" to generate a source package, then
pass the .dsc file to pbuilder.
Regards,
Vincent
Alternatively, if the packaging your are working on uses git, you can
use git-buildpackage [1].

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/PackagingWithGit

Then, building a new iteration of your package is as simple as running:

`gbp buildpackage`

inside your packaging repository.

Kind regards.
Ghis
Sharma, Jaikumar
2015-08-24 07:20:02 UTC
Hi Shawn,
Post by Shawn Sörbom
How does one build a package in pbuilder if they haven't generated .dsc files?
I'm using :
1. dget -x [http/ftp url of .dsc file]
2. cd [packageFolder-xxx]
3. 'dch -i' - to adapt the changelog
4. dpkg-source -b packageFolder-xxx
(this will generate the .dsc file for your package)
5. sudo pbuilder build <RecentlyGenerateddscFile>

Of course there are tons of options in pbuilder to customize the packaging,
but this is minimal to give you a go ahead :-)

Hope this helps!

Regards
Jaikumar
Post by Shawn Sörbom
Post by Vincent Cheng
Hi Shawn,
Hi,
Ghis
Andrey Rahmatullin
2015-08-24 10:00:02 UTC
Post by Shawn Sörbom
Hi,
How does one build a package in pbuilder if they haven't generated .dsc files?
I am trying to build a package on my stable system that has dependencies which
are only satisfiable in sid. I have not built this particular version yet, so
there are no .dsc or .changes files. what should I do?
You can pass -d to dpkg-buildpackage -S to skip installing Build-Depends.
WBR, wRAR
Shawn Sörbom
2015-08-24 18:30:02 UTC
Post by Andrey Rahmatullin
Post by Shawn Sörbom
Hi,
How does one build a package in pbuilder if they haven't generated .dsc
files? I am trying to build a package on my stable system that has
dependencies which are only satisfiable in sid. I have not built this
particular version yet, so there are no .dsc or .changes files. what
should I do?
You can pass -d to dpkg-buildpackage -S to skip installing Build-Depends.
Thank you everybody, I appreciate it. I noticed that in my case, the pdebuild
solution didn't work until I installed the pkg-kde-tools on my host system (it
is a dependency in my case). I guess that tool is used during source build?
Anyway, all of the replies were very useful (I ended up using all of the
solutions at different times).
Thanks,
--Shawn
Vincent Bernat
2015-08-24 19:30:02 UTC
Post by Shawn Sörbom
Thank you everybody, I appreciate it. I noticed that in my case, the pdebuild
solution didn't work until I installed the pkg-kde-tools on my host system (it
is a dependency in my case). I guess that tool is used during source build?
Anyway, all of the replies were very useful (I ended up using all of the
solutions at different times).
You can avoid that with "-nc".
--
I'll burn my books.